Personal injury attorneys get a lot of questions on how much a slip-and-fall injury claim is usually worth. For one, it is not possible to provide an accurate estimate of how much a claimant will be able to recover. It is, however, possible to determine applicable types of compensation based on the specific details of the personal injury claim.
The financial impact of a slip-and-fall injury is primarily associated with medical bills, which are determined by the number of ambulance trips, length of hospital stay, medications, and necessary assistive devices. Aside from costs of medical treatment, the claim would also often include missed paychecks caused by work absences.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, it is crucial to seek legal help right away. Get in touch with reliable Elkhart personal injury lawyers who can help you recover after a serious fall and pursue the compensation you rightfully deserve.
The first part of this article will focus on factors that influence the slip and fall claim value that you could be entitled to receive. The second part will then look into the qualities of a personal injury lawyer who can help maximize the amount of your slip and fall injury claim.
Types of damages that influence what you could recover compensation for
While it is not possible to promise a specific recovery or accurately predict the dollar value of a slip and fall injury lawsuit, the type of damages involved can help determine the value of a specific slip and fall case. These are:
- Medical expenses related to the bodily injuries you sustained, such as medical bills from the ambulance, emergency room, urgent care center, hospital, or doctor
- Medication, including both prescription and over-the-counter medications that are necessary for the treatment of both minor and serious injuries
- Permanent disability, specifically in terms of expenses and lost income
- Rehabilitation expenses and the cost of rehabilitation services, such as time spent in a rehab center, outpatient rehabilitation, in-home rehabilitation, occupational therapy, or physical therapy
- Assistive devices such as crutches, braces, wheelchairs, hospital beds, and other medical devices necessary during recovery
- Costs of hiring people that can provide household assistance, particularly if the accident victim is unable to perform certain household chores and personal care tasks
- Pain and suffering damages which are meant to compensate for the intangible pain, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life due to the accident
- Loss of consortium, which applies to spouses that suffered from loss of marital relations
- Reduced earning capacity, especially if the victim is unable to return to work and is only able to take a position that pays significantly less
- Lost wages or the pay lost due to work absences caused by the injuries, which can be different from a paid sick leave
- Mileage or compensation for travel to and from medical appointments, the pharmacy, and other trips necessitated by the injuries and related treatment
- Punitive damages or damages that are meant to punish the at-fault party for especially reckless or careless actions (although these are rare)
If you have questions on the different components of the compensation recovered in a personal injury claim, consult with a trusted Elkhart personal injury attorney right now.
Qualities of a good local attorney who can help maximize your slip and fall injury claims
A good personal injury lawyer:
- is knowledgeable on how insurance companies work and how they set a settlement value for a particular case
- has extensive experience in providing legal representation, going to court, and dealing with insurance companies
- is dedicated to securing full and fair compensation at the negotiating table
- can comprehensively explain relevant personal injury laws and the compensation that slip and fall accident victims may be entitled to
- takes time to listen to every single detail about the case and responds to clarifications once all relevant information has been gathered
- organizes facts and evidences and helps accident victims determine the best options for seeking maximum compensation.
- employs an effective case-management system to ensure that your case moves smoothly from start to finish
- will prioritize attentive client service and consistent feedback to improve the likelihood of a successful filing
If you or a loved one sustained injuries from a slip and fall that was caused by someone else’s actions, contact a legal expert who can help you learn more about maximizing slip and fall settlements. Consult with experienced slip and fall accident lawyers from a trusted personal injury law firm for any questions on how much your personal injury lawsuit will be worth. Call us at Wilson & Kinsman, LLC and talk to dedicated injury lawyers who will look closely into your case.